Monday, May 10, 2010

I Just Ran 8 Minutes!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes you read right!!!! 


Me I did it. I did!!!!!!!!! 8 minutes I never thought that I would see the day that I would run 8 minutes! I thought that for sure I would never make it past 5 minutes. 5 minutes was so two weeks ago! Yes thats right two weeks ago. We skipped 7 and went straight to 8. 


The first 8 minutes were okay I did pretty good considering that it had been raining since last night and the humidity was pretty high. But I did it. The second 8 minutes was tougher for me I had to break them up a bit but It still felt good and I didn't give up.


We had another guest speaker tonight, actually 2 speakers talking about motivation, and these people really motivated me. Especially the one guy named Tracey. He was awesome. He talked about running his first marathon and several other marathons. He talked about how he gets up and goes to the gym every morning and works out, and that a woman asked if he would like to train to see if he could make it to the Beijing Olympics on 2008 for rowing. They were only letting the top 2 Canadians go to Beijing, he unfortunately placed 3rd.  Tracey is always looking for something new to do and is up for new challenges. But that is not what motivated me. It wasn't all the 1/2 marathons or the full marathon, or even the Olympic thing that motivated me. It wasn't even that he didn't let things stop him and get in his way. What really got me going and motivated me was that he has this spark about him and how passionate he was even with limitations.......Oh wait did I forget to tell you that he is blind? Thats right that's what I said he is blind.


So if he can accomplish all of this I think that I can keep going. I really needed this motivation tonight. He really made me open my eyes. It also made me think of a quote that my husband always says and lives by.....


 "The world doesn't meet you half way, if you want something you gotta get out there and take it."


I am really starting to understand and believe this. I have come so far in the last 7 weeks looking back I think I thought that I would have given up by now. I am glad I didn't chicken out and I am glad that I haven't given up on myself. In 7 weeks I have gained more self-esteem and I have more confidence in myself. I am starting to like my new self. I am starting to have more respect for myself and I now feel that I matter. I am not just someone's mom or wife. I am Sam and I am putting me first for a change and I like it.   


This tired runner is about to fall asleep in this chair so it's off to bed for me. Good night!

1 comment:

  1. woohoo! you must be so proud and should be!
    i could never do what you are doing~not guts no glory! and it seems as though you have both :)

    ReplyDelete